The ACT National Science Week Coordinating Committee is calling for applications (127 kB, .doc) to bid to plan and stage the local launch of National Science Week in August 2015.
The committee has up to $10 000 available for an event that the local community can also be a part of. The Committee will be looking for some creative flair and imaginative spark in the proposals.
Remember - this is not just an opportunity for organisations to promote themselves.
The ACT National Science Week Coordinating Committee will award up to $10,000 to develop a launch for National Science Week in Canberra. Our vision is for the launch to be a community event. What we don’t want is a formal event full of speeches. As a guide, in 2014 our launch had musical performances, science demonstrations, fire twirlers, an astronaut and short speeches. This was a special year and we don’t expect an astronaut…but be creative! National Science Week is a wide-ranging event with lots of participants and stakeholders. The launch should reflect this diversity, and not just be a chance for one organisation to ‘self promote’.
· The event must be held on Wednesday 13th or Thursday 14th of August.
· The launch should be aimed at a wider community rather than a single organisation.
· The Federal Minister for Science/Industry or the Chief Scientist or the ACT Chief Minister have traditionally launched National Science Week in the ACT. Your launch event should be designed to allow the Minister’s participation. Please note that the committee cannot guarantee the attendance of VIPs.
· When preparing your budget, please note that National Science Week funds cannot be used to pay for the time of in-house staff. You may charge people to access the launch but you will be required to provide some free tickets to VIPs and volunteers. The exact number can be negotiated with the National Science Week ACT coordinating committee.
Grant recipients will be required to:
· Attend meetings of the National Science Week ACT Coordinating Committee;
· Register the launch on the National Science Week website;
· Acknowledge funding support by ensuring the National Science Week logo appears on event material;
· Display National Science Week signage provided by the ACT committee at your event;
· Complete budget acquittal forms;
· Complete the online evaluation process established by National Science Week using information collected from feedback forms at the event. Original forms to be submitted with your report;
· Provide digital images and/or video of your activity to help National Science Week showcase successful grant-supported events.
How to apply
Download and complete the application form and return it to actscienceweekATgmail.com by COB Friday 13 February, 2015. Successful applicants will be notified of the results by 30 March, 2015. The ACT committee reserves the right not to award a launch grant if no suitable application is submitted.
Payment of 30 per cent (30%) of the grant will be made upon receipt of a valid tax invoice, 40 per cent (40%) upon supplying final details of the event and 30 per cent (30%) once the event organiser has completed post-event reporting and evaluation. The ACT committee will assist in promoting the launch.