Position Title: Observatory Educator
Level: HEW 5/1
School/Office: School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics
A major responsibility of the Observatory Educator is to deliver high quality presentations, provide information and high quality client services to visitors.
The Observatory Educator reports to the Observatory Manager.
A major responsibility of the Observatory Educator is to provide effective and efficient client services to vistors.
The Observatory runs public programs, outreach programs for primary and secondary school, teachers’ workshops and specialised group programs.
1. Conducts and assists with presentations.
2. Provides information and answer questions in relation to astronomy, general science and technology from school age children, amateur astronomy groups and the general public.
3. Demonstrate and assist visitors to the observatory in the use of telescopes and other observatory equipment and facilities.
4. Conduct tours of the observatory.
5. Collect, verify and balance cash received.
6. Ensure compliance with the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.
· Knowledge of astronomy and the ability to relate it in an educational context.
· Highly developed client service skills.
· Well developed communication skills and ability to relate basic astronomy concepts to people of all ages and from all aspects of the community
· Ability to conduct presentations.
· Practical experience with optical astronomical telescopes.
· Knowledge of the sky.
· Knowledge of NSW Board of Studies K-12 syllabuses
· Cash handling experience.
· Knowledge of legislation in relation of Work Health and Safety
School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics
Computational Astrophysics, Imaging & Simulation
: 4620 3824 | F: 4620 3075 | M: 0411 547 892 | E: email@example.com